Instamapper

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Communication

As mentioned before, we'll be secluding ourselves intentionally. To be perfectly honest, I think that we're all way to hung up on being able to get a hold of someone in the time it takes to root through our oversize pockets and dial a few digits. The world got along just fine 50 years ago with just the telephone. And another 50 years before that, you were at the will and whim of a horse, sleepy telegraph operator or train engineer. Chances are good that we're fine. If you're concerned about our progress, I'll try and be good about at least updating our past in-town days. Whoa there, don't get too excited. Most likely, it'll just be something like: 'hey, we're alive. Just ate a 13 egg omelet in Harper's Ferry. Haven't had a BM in days; still waiting for the big one...'

The best way to get in touch with us (since we won't have regular access to the internet or phone service - partly as a function of our distance from 'civilization', and entirely by choice) is good old-fashioned USPS or e-mail. Please don't leave a voice-mail, Facebook message, IM or comment on the blog and expect me to get back to you. It'll be great to look back on your input and insight after we're done, but I plan to keep in touch with our I'llgetbacktoyouassoonaspossible-lovin' world as little as possible. E-mail is probably the easiest, but I'm planning of conducting most of my return correspondence via post card and letter.

I will hopefully update this Blog before we leave with a list of post offices that we'll be stopping at in town. Here's what to do if you know that we'll be in somewhere.

1) Make sure that the stuff you're sending is useful. I love all of you and I love all of the thoughtful things that I've ever received from you through the years, but space and carrying capacity are limited. To give you an idea of what I'm doing to save both, I'll be cutting the handle off of my toothbrush. Think about it before you send it.

2) Package it in some way that it will survive the (perhaps several) weeks before we get there. Our time-frame will be difficult to predict accurately beyond a few days out due to schedule-altering possibilities inherent in long-distance hiking. No ice cream sandwiches or books please. Ziplock bags are your friend. Priority Mail Flat-Rate boxes are also a good thing. I can re-use the flat-rate boxes to send stuff home that I don't need any more.

3) Write 'Please Hold for Appalachian Trail Hiker' across the front/top and address it in the following format:
Crawford Rizor
c/o General Delivery
(City/Town, State, Zip)


4) Be patient with my response.

I'll still have a phone, so if it is an emergency, I can call. Emergencies only please. It's not that I don't want to talk to you. It's just that I don't want to talk on the phone.

In the case of an emergency, you can contact my parents (404)-262-3314. But, take note that they cannot get in touch with me any faster than you. They might have a little more detailed information on how to find me faster if absolutely necessary. If you want to send me a letter or something and don't know where I'll be, you can send it to my parents to include in their next support package:

Crawford Rizor (fwd. to AT)
195 Valley Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30305

Happy Trails.

2 comments:

  1. Didja leave yet? Don't forget baby powder, you'll know why on about the 3rd or 4th day of no showers on the trail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got any blisters yet(from the airport terminal concourses)? Hope your'e lovin it!Allen

    ReplyDelete